I decided to move my 4 year old garden to a more sunny location. Started this project in April 2020 and have spent way more dollars than I thought I would. If things go as planned I will not have snakes or mice visiting this garden. I am almost finished with outer fence and realized this will be a two year project (assuming I am still around).
Some things I have learned are:
- Don’t start plants indoors too early.
- Rain will not happen on your schedule.
- The coronavirus can really screw things up for your timeline.
- Things take a lot longer to get done when you are old.
- Some of your best ideas stink.
- In spite of your efforts, your seeds will sprout and plants will grow.
- Elevated (30″ high) garden beds are a really great idea.
- Projects start with function and good looks in mind, and end with function and looks good enough.
- Leave enough room for your tractor or other tools to move around.
- Leave extra room for plantings for the local food bank.
In this age of coronavirus and corporate greed, I’m planting more for the food bank than I have in the past. While I can’t fix the food insecurity problem, I can at least help some folks in my community. What about you?